12 February, 2014

More Deep Steep: Sugar Scrubs


Every so often, an organic product truly shocks you into believing that it must be actually be a luxury brand in disguise.  Deep Steep, a brand I discovered at TJMaxx (shocker), but is widely available online and in some Walgreens stores, keeps delivering this shock each time I try one of their products.  


While I loved their liquid body wash line last summer, I always need something intensely moisturizing and exfoliating to get my horribly dry skin through the winter.  In the past, I've wound up using Cetaphil and a washcloth because scrubs usually let me down, but after trying the Argan Oil Sugar Scrub in the same scent pictured above, Warm Vanilla and Coconut, I absolutely loved it and grabbed it again the moment I saw it.  I've also been in a bit of a coconut oil rage (hair mask, moisturizer, cleanser when mixed with coffee grounds, cookies, you name it), so the Brown Sugar and Vanilla scrub had to come home and live in my shower, too.

The consistency of the product can be a little frustrating when you're trying to squeeze it out of the tube (HEY! it comes in tubs now!), but this is because the thick scrub actually hangs on to the sugar molecules, allowing you to scrub at least a whole leg without them melting away and down the drain.  In the past, I've tried a variety of sugar scrubs only to get 3-4 inches of bod scrubbed before the sugar dissolves, making them excessively frustrating and never worth the money (sorry - not sorry), so this was the big shocker for me.  In addition, the argan and coconut oils in the two scrubs really stay put on your skin after the shower, limiting the freakish number of times a day I have to slather lotion on to keep myself from dying of dry skin. 


As you can see, the sugar grains are nice and chunky - and there are plenty of them.  Once you have a little product on your mitts, you can easily knock an arm or leg out in a few seconds.



One of my most hated things about winter is that my hands get craggy, dry, and depressing, so you'll see I thought it would be a good idea to scrub them up and let the oils sink in before I put on gloves and headed out into the freezing cold and wind.  Note: this is an amazing idea.  This shot shows that, even after scrubbing, the sugar sticks around and the product spreads easily.  Let's just hope that it helps eliminate some of these (temporary, I swear) dry skin lines.... Sad face.

At any rate, they have an amazing range of 7 comforting "signature" scents (or is it still "flavors", per middle school excursions to Bath & Body Works?) and the 8 oz tubs are only $10.95 (seeya later, Fresh/Laura Mercier/whatever other scrubs I've been let down by in the past).

The company's mission truly inspired me, and I'm happy to say I officially have a "holy grail" organic bath/body brand to follow.

In terms of ingredients, here's what the Leaping Bunny certified Brown Sugar and Vanilla scrub contains:

  • Sucrose: .....sugar
  • Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract:  Vanilla extract
  • Butyrospermum Parii (Shea) Butter:  Shea butter, a natural oil that congeals into a thick, buttery consistency (sorry, had to use that word)
  • Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil:  Coconut Oil! One of nature's most versatile gifts, it moisturizes and has antibacterial properties
  • Aroma (Organic and Wildcrafted Aroma Blend): Basically I'm assuming this is just a blend of essential oils - primarily vanilla, if my nose serves me right
  • Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract: Supposedly it offers anti-septic properties and stimulates blood circulation
........ Not bad, eh?  I didn't even need to use the Environmental Working Group's site, or Paula's Choice, to figure out what the deuce is in the product.  True, you can probably make this on your own at home with a jar of coconut oil, some brown sugar, and a bit of vanilla extract, but I honestly don't mind supporting eco and animal friendly brands who have a heart in terms of not wanting to drain my pocket book.  

Plus everything they make smells AMAZING. 

Do you find the same issues with other scrubs?  Any good home recipes I should give a whirl?

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment