12 October, 2013

Summer Saviors: DermOrganic Shampoo & Hair Repair Masque, Love&Toast Body Lotion

Like most of us, I'm pretty finicky about my hair.  Luckily, I was blessed with thick, fast growing hair from birth and it tends to be rather shiny on its own.  My only peeve is that it never does what I want.  Ever. Talking with my stylist at Sine Qua Non Salon in Chicago, he suggested I try their salon go-to shampoo and conditioner, both by DermOrganic.  
By now we all know that the hype surrounding hair products laden with argan oil is beyond justified.  A believer in it myself, I've tried the company's Argan Hair Oil before (picked it up at TJMaxx, whatdya know!), and love it, so I thought it would be worth giving salon gorgeous hair a try at home.  I picked up the smaller (although slow to disappear!) shampoo at the salon and the Intensive Hair Repair Masque (which I use as a regular conditioner) at TJMaxx (surprise!).  



The cost of the shampoo at the salon was a little steep for me at $16, but the giant bottle of conditioner was only $19, and that both seem to not want to run out, I'm fine with the cost, especially given the return on my investment....  I have to say, my locks are as soft as can be when I use this shampoo and, while it escalates the tangliness of my mane, It's been a fantastic solution to making my care-free, bed head hair look a little more polished.  
The first thing I noticed when trying this out is that my hair is consistently extraordinarily silky and seems to not clump in weird waves as it usually does.
The consistency of the shampoo is thin, and it might take a pump or two of the pearly white stuff to really penetrate your locks if they're quite thick, but it definitely gives you a good clean without sulfates - worth a bit of extra effort in my book!
While everyone claims this is a no-no, I use the Intensive Hair Repair Masque as a regular conditioner - only taking breaks for something else every so often.  It doesn't weigh my hair down too much, and I've definitely noticed that I have far fewer split ends than normal, so I'm taking that as a positive sign.
While the bottles say organic, I'm not entirely sure they are, given the ingredients list (let me know if you'd like greater details), but I'll use them until I find something more eco friendly that works just as well... which could be never.  You can find the line at DermOrganic's site, or at Ulta.

For as much water as I drink, avocados and nuts/seeds as I eat, my skin and hair have no justification for being as dry as they are.  In general, I try to find the thickest body lotion I can to slather myself with in an effort to stay moisturized.  When I first heard of Love&Toast's body lotions, thick and heavy was not a term used to describe their consistency, but being packed full of hydrating oils, I thought I'd give one a whirl....

And boy am I ever glad I did!
The Honey Nectar line boasts a scent note mix of crisp apple, peach blossom, apricot, and jasmine petal that is somehow reminiscent of Play-Doh (no joke), but a Play-Doh you WANT slathered all over your legs and body.  It's a fantastic summer scent that doesn't linger for too long.  Childish clay analogies aside, it smells really pleasant and slightly floral - so don't be scared off by my scent-memories!
As previously stated, the consistency is definitely not creamy and thick, but two layers of the thin formulation moisturize my poor self more than a layer of most creams.  
With power packed ingredients like avocado oil and shea butter, you know you are doing your skin a favor.  All of Margot Elena's Love&Toast products are cruelty free and are created without such nasties as parabens, phtalates, petrolatum, and synthetic colors.  They're vegan and aptly priced at $9.99 on the company website, Love&Toast.com.

With winter coming, do you have any tips for keeping your skin from becoming an itchy, patchy mess?  I'd love to hear your advice!

xx,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment