18 October, 2013

Summer Saviors: LaVanilla Deodorant and Jo Malone Cologne

For years I've been devoted to the same perfume, Chanel Coco.  A slightly spicy, rich scent, it always jives with my chemical makeup perfectly - sinking in, yet remaining present - the way a perfume should.  Given this happy relationship, I've never considered changing things up seasonally, regardless of the fact that it's something we should all think about.  The humidity and heat absolutely change the way scents act on our skin, leaving Coco sitting slightly heavy during the summer months.  On a whim, I trekked downtown to Nordstrom to visit the Jo Malone counter.


  With countless scents to choose from, most developed to evoke particular scent memories and all with absolutely genius combinations of notes, I knew I'd find something I'd like from this British cult name.  Originally I thought that the Cucumber and Earl Grey would make the perfect crisp scent I was so hoping to find.  In the bottle, it was a bit strong and sweet, but on my skin it changed and what lingered was a crisp, clean, almost floral aura.  While I loved this, my boyfriend encouraged me to try the Blue Agave and Cacao cologne, a very sweet scent I wouldn't usually go for.  While it wasn't sectioned with the spicy, woodsier scents, it definitely hits those notes (at least for my nose!).  The scent is immediately comforting - reminiscent of real cocoa - and absolutely as intoxicating as its description infers.  It isn't too sweet (you won't gag), as there is quite a bit of spice masked behind the deceiving name.
I absolutely LOVE it and, while shopping guilt plagued me for a few hours, am absolutely confident that purchasing the large size was worth the hefty price tag.  I've been wearing this cologne every day this summer and know that it will transition beautifully into fall and winter.  The salesman also let me know that these colognes are great for layering, so I'm tempted to see how it might work in tandem with my beloved Coco.


You can't expect your perfume to carry all the weight on the smelling good trek, and even some of the most eco friendly folks agree that deodorant is always necessary.  Unfortunately for me, I've been stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to this staple, as I cringe at the thought of using big box brands that rely on aluminum based products, and my skin always reacts badly to popular eco-friendly brands like Tom's.  Over the years, there have been numerous claims made regarding some not-so-nice side effects of aluminum based products, including an increased risk of cancer and Alzheimer's.  While some medical sites may not verify these claims, the reading I've done on the links is enough to make finding the perfect holy grail deodorant a must for me.
On a trip to Sephora, I randomly stumbled across the LaVanilla "The Healthy Deodorant" - a creamy stick with a number of fresh (vanilla based) scents.  Formulated without aluminum, parabens, and other unfriendly ingredients, I thought I'd give the travel size a whirl and see if it caused any irritation.  To my surprise, not only did it not burn my skin, it worked all day and actually seemed to moisturize at the same time!  I love the light scent - it doesn't overpower like some brands (no one really wants to smell like Secret's "baby powder fresh" or "tropical" scents), and comes in two handy sizes.
I personally love the original vanilla scented stick, but the lavender comes in at a close second.  The cost for the amount of deodorant in the container is a little steep, at $8 for .9 oz and $14 for 2 oz, but I'm so thrilled to find a gentle, powerful, all natural product that I'm more than willing to support the company.  Sometimes, when I find a product I absolutely love that aligns with my morals and eco-ethics, I feel like I'm almost donating to another like minded person's dream of making the world a better place.

Does anyone else experience irritation with some more ethical brand names?  If you've found a gentle, less expensive alternative to common staple products - please let me know - I'm always on the hunt!

Thanks for reading this series - let me know what you think about it and, if you try any of the products, let me know what you think about those, too! You can check out my Pinterest (kyouknow) to see what other products I'm loving or looking to try, so follow me for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment